Nyxia Discussion November 2020
This is the discussion post for Nyxia, the first novel in the Nyxia triad by author Scott Reintgen. For those that read it, I hope you enjoyed this YA sci-fi novel, and stick around till tomorrow for the final book of the month for Between the Pages bookclub. I personally didn’t like this book a whole lot, but I hope you all enjoyed it!
Here are some of my thoughts:
– Ok so, positives first. I really liked the concept of it and found it to be quite interesting.
– I’m glad that there was a diverse cast of characters of different cultures.
– A lot of the competitive elements were interesting.
– There are some interesting character relationships here.
– There was a plot twist around the middle that was highly unexpected.
– Now, onto my criticisms, so while the concept was good, the execution was less so.
– There’s very limited worldbuilding and I would have loved more depth to everything.
– A lot of the book is very repetitive, with competition after completion.
– The stakes almost don’t feel that high at times, simply because there was going to be eight winners out of 10.
– I would have liked a bit more depth to these characters, as since there are some many of them, we don’t get much about them besides their most defining traits.
– I did not like the instalove at all at the end, especially since the author has shown that he can build up relationships.
– Most of the book felt too slow and repetitive and the final things in the ending almost felt rushed.
– Essentially, I would have liked more from the book, but I did enjoy the overall concept.
So that is what I thought of this book, and I ended up giving it a 4.5/10 and I hope to discuss the book with you in the comments below!