Discussion post for Darius the Great
It’s ridiculous to think that there is only 4 months left of the year, which is insane. Like always, this is the discussion post for the book of the month for Between the Pages bookclub, where we read Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram. I hope everyone who had the chance to read it enjoyed it. I personally had a great time reading it and I also believe that book 2, Darius the Great Deserves Better, which is book 2 in the series just came and I didn’t even realise, but that’s some decent timing. Now, before you read any further, please be mindful of potential spoilers.
Here are just some of my thoughts on the book and please feel free to discuss the novel with or anyone else.
- I really liked it was own voices and written from an authentic perspective.
- I could often sympathise with Darius’ character and there were so many heartfelt moments.
- Darius really does grow a lot in the novel.
- As a POC living in a Western country, who has spent essentially my whole life in Australia, there were lots of aspects that I could relate with in Darius’ character.
- There’s really good depression representation and it made Darius even more interesting to read about, and it all comes with the author’s own experience with depression.
- The family dynamics were SOO GOOD.
- Darius and Sohrab’s friendship were so wholesome, even if there were some aspects at the start that felt slightly forced.
- I also learnt a lot of things about Persian/Iranian culture, so that was great as well which led me to actually look up some cultural things and learn more about it.
- The last 20 percent of the book was so good, and there was this one scene between Darius and his father, and my emotions, oh man. That was such a good scene.
- I also really enjoyed the first 80 percent, obviously, but it was more of a four star than five, like the ending and there were parts that I felt probably could have delved a bit deeper.
- So, overall, I gave it a 8.5/10.
Here’s my full review if anyone’s interested and please discuss the book with me below: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3481775821?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1