Discussion for I Was Born For This
Note: Please be aware that there will almost certainly will be spoilers.
Hi everyone and welcome the the discussion for I Was Born For This by Alice Oseman!
For those who are unaware, I Was Born For This was the book of the month for June, and the book we read to celebrate Pride month. I hope that some of you had the chance to it this month, or reread it even, like in my case. Alice Oseman is talked quite frequently on how great Heartstopper is, and I agree it’s absolutely amazing, but she also writes some incredible YA contemporaries as well that aren’t talked about as much.
Anyways, here are just some of my thoughts on the book and please feel free to discuss with me or anyone else below.
- I really enjoyed it a second time round.
- I liked the way at how it handled fandoms.
- Jimmy deserves all the love in the world.
- Ok, but like an actual genuine friendship between the two main characters instead of a romance is great. We need more friendships in books!
- Despite the fact that I have read many more contemporaries, this still remains one of my favourites.
- It’s not very heavy plot wise, and is much more character driven and I really liked it for that.
- I like that while there is substantial character development, it happens at a pace that feels more realistic, instead of having characters change instantly.
- Angel can be slightly annoying and frustrating at times and at how her entire life is consumed by the Arc.
- It really handled a lot of themes and issues beyond just fandoms, including things like being an alcoholic and that things can get pretty bad.
- I appreciated that Oseman presented being a star is not always a good thing as there are always so many expectations and the way fans are always stalking you is hardly good for anyone’s mental health, and I liked the way that was explored, and really showed this, especially at how Jimmy had enough and ran off out of a window.
- Bliss is a great character.
- Rowan can be a jerk, though it is perfectly understandable as to why he that way towards people.
- Mac can go home and stay home, period.
Well, those are just some of my thoughts on the novel. My overall rating that I gave on my review last year was 9.5/10, making it a solid five stars. Please discuss any thoughts you had of the book!